In the event of an emergency closing or delayed opening, information will be announced by:
- DISTRICT HOME PAGE POSTING: An announcement will be placed on the home page of our district website as well as our district voicemail.
- TELEVISION: Channel 4 NBC; News 12 New Jersey; FOX 5 WNYW
- RADIO: NJ 101.5
- ELECTRONIC PHONE NOTIFICATION SYSTEM: A Honeywell Instant Alert notification will be sent between 5:00 AM and 5:30 AM. Click here to learn more about the Honeywell Instant Alert system; and for directions on how to set up your Honeywell account.
In the event of a delayed opening or early dismissal, Hilltop School and Mountain View School will follow this schedule:
- Delayed Opening: 10:30am
- Early Dismissal: 1:00pm
When decisions need to be made regarding delayed openings or school closings, here is an overview of the process our schools use:
- The superintendents in Mendham Twp, Mendham Borough, Chester, Long Valley and the high schools start to confer the day before snow is expected to share the information we have.
- We confer with local police departments concerning road conditions. In Mendham, the ability of our four-person snow removal team, fortunately supported by borough crews in the parking lots and on the roads, is a serious factor. Staff members commute over many routes, so generalizing is impossible, but commuting conditions are weighed.
- Several districts subscribe to local weather services, and they generously share the data they receive.
- At 4:00 a.m. we initiate conference calls to discuss the situation. It is particularly pertinent for our district to plan with Mendham Twp, which supplies our buses. Mendham Township’s transportation department is consulted.
- We seek a mutual decision by 5:00 a.m. (if mutual action is appropriate to the conditions).
- We record announcements of schedule changes and arrange delivery for phone-blast messages at more reasonable times for staff members and families. The police, township road department, our Webmaster, and radio and TV stations are alerted.