Kindergarten Update: December
Here’s what your Kindergartener worked on this month:
Reading Workshop: We continue to stress the importance of reading strategies that good readers use. This week we:
- Went back and reread to make sure the words we are saying to match the words on the page.
- Used first letter clues to figure out unknown words.
- Used our sight word cards to help recognize words in our shared reading texts.
- Noticed that when certain words repeat in a story this helps us to read the story.
- Celebrated our favorite shared reading book with all kindergarteners.
Writing Workshop: We continue to use good writing strategies that make it easier for other readers to read what the children are writing, such as:
- Using a spaceman to put spaces in between words
- Making our writing readable
- Fancied up and celebrated with all the kindergarten classes
Math: Unit 4 where the children:
- Learned about tricky teens
- Played number top it
- Worked with hexagons
- Number collection boxes
- Played math games
Fundations: letters Hh and Kk, reviewed letters, the -an word family
Holidays Around the World
- Learned how people all over the world celebrate Christmas and Hanukkah
- Shared our family traditions
- Learned about the season of winter